Friday, February 22, 2013

James K. Polk

 Amelia's 3rd grade class had to write reports about a president. They chose by drawing out of a hat and Amelia got James K. Polk... who is he? I asked the same thing, but over the last month I learned a lot about our 11th president.

All the research and writing Amelia did ended with a living was museum show put on by all the third graders. They could either dress up like their president or make a poster. Amelia, like most of the kids, dressed up and she really got into it! She even wanted to spray her hair white. We found a blazer for $9 at forever 21 (I figure Anna can wear it when she has this project in two years). 

It was pretty cute to see all the students dressed up reading their reports, I think they all had fun. When we got home we took a few photos. Amelia was cracking me up with her poses. Her report is below.
The real James K. Polk




Hello, I am James K. Polk, the 11th president of the United States. I’m going to tell you a story about my interesting life as president.   
                                                     
Early Life
                  This is some info about my early life. I was born on November 2, 1795 in North Carolina. My parents, Samuel and Jane, were who gave birth to me. My mom had no job. My dad was a slave owner, farmer and surveyor. My brothers and sisters were Jane, Lydia, Franklin, Marshall, John, Naomi, Ophelia, William, and Samuel. My education was from the University of North Carolina. I was also a member of the Tennessee House of Representatives. I married Sarah Childress  and I had no children. Now that was all of my early life.

Presidency
                  I was a very busy president, but I kept laser focus on my agenda. I was in office for only one term. My political party was the Democratic Party. My vice president was George M. Dallas. During my presidency a crack in the liberty bell occurred and it proves not to be rung anymore. In 1848, I made the treaty with Mexico. That gave the U.S. control over California, New Mexico, Arizona, Nevada, Utah, and parts of Colorado and Wyoming. In 1846, the Oregon Treaty prevented war between Great Britain and the United States in who would own Oregon. I did have a ton of things going on while I was president.

Post Presidency
When I retired from the presidency, I lived in a mansion in Tennessee. I had only 103 days to live after I retired. My cause of death was cholera. Cholera is an illness. My date of death was June 15, 1849. I wish I could be president again.

Conclusion
    I am remembered as the best one term president. Here is some of my legacy: I wanted to gather as much land in the western hemisphere as possible in the union, knowing everyone would be involved. I lowered tariffs and I ran circles around congress. I loved the chance to be the president of the United States of America!




No comments: